First and foremost it is important to understand that not all mineral makeup is created with safe ingredients. Always check labels and if not available, reach out to the company, usually if they are not being completely honest they are hiding something. Mineral Makeup is safer because most traditional makeup's have dyes, fragrances and/or harsh chemicals that can damage or irritate skin. Not to mention, traditional foundations are more likely to clog pores resulting in unwanted acne. The ingredients might seem scary but I will explain them so you can understand there is nothing scary about it.
Words to Avoid
Dimethicone also called polymethylsiloxane is a silicon-based polymer used as a lubricant and conditioning agent. Is considered synthetic even though comes from a natural form.
Cyclomethicone is a clear, colorless, odorless and silicone liquid that is also considered to be a endocrine disrupter leading to an unwanted hormonal imbalance.
Talc Powder is a clay mineral found naturally on earth made up of magnesium, silicon, and oxygen. Unfourtanly talc contains asbestos and has evidence that it causes cancer. Talcum Baby Powder lawsuit! Even though there is a lawsuit you will still find this powder in your cosmetics :(
Phenoxyethanol is a chemical made up of germicidal and germistatic glycol ether, phenol ether, and aromatic alcohol often used together with quaternary ammonium compounds. Used as a preservative in about 27% off all personal products and you will find it under these names as well, 2-phenoxyethanol, phenoxytol, ethylene glycol monophenyl ether, and 1-hydroxy-2-phenoxyethane.
(Paraben) methylparaben, propylparaben, ehylparaben, or butylparaben are chemical compounds used as a preservative in product since 1950's and since have spread to food and pharmaceutical. These are bad for the body because they are known as estrogen tricker's causing your body to mistake parabens as estrogen. Now that your body is thinking your estrogen is high, it stop producing estrogen leaving you with not enough resulting in a list of health issues.
Phthalates are a group of chemicals used in hundreds of products, such as toys, vinyl flooring and wall covering, detergents, lubricating oils, food packaging, pharmaceuticals, blood bags and tubing, and personal care products, such as nail polish, hair sprays, aftershave lotions, soaps, shampoos, perfumes and other fragrance preparations. These are also endocrine disruptors linked to problems with he reproductive system, including decreased sperm motility and concentrations in men and genital abnormalities in baby boys!
Fragrance/Parfum is such a broad word that companies can use over 300 chemicals to create the scent without having to disclose due to proprietary laws! There should be zero fragrance or parfum in any makeup of things you use in general. These chemicals are the number one cause to skin irritation, acne and asthma.
Corn Starch is a flour derived from corn. With it begin a source of food there is no preservatives meaning when exposed to moisture its a breeding ground for fungal and bacteria. This happens on your face when you to sweat, the moisture on your face can cause the cornstarch to go bad so to say causing inflammation, irritation and acne. You won't find corn starch in many products but there is many DIY makeup hacks suggesting using corn starch in place of a setting powered. Please stay away from those diy!
Kaolin Clay also known as white cosmetic clay is a natural clay that is really great in skin care products because it was a mild clay that stimulates circulation while gently exfoliating and cleansing. It is not harmful but is very absorbent to oils, which can result in dryness of the skin. Best to avoid in makeup up but use in skin care!
Ultramarine Blue is another pigment that is not bad as a natural state but most ultramarine pigments are all synthetic made. Due to natural ultramarine being the most expensive and finest blues companies wanted a cheap alternative. This came the synthetic version using
- white kaolin
- anhydrous sodium sulfate (Na2SO4)
- anhydrous sodium carbonate (Na2CO3)
- powdered sulfur
- powdered charcoal or relatively ash-free coal, or colophony in lumps
- Titanium Dioxide
- Natural occurring mineral used to lighten and work together with Zinc Oxide to provide UVA/UVB protection. It is Non-Nano meaning that it will not penetrate the skin. It allows good adhesion while leaving you with a matte finish. Non skin irritant.
- Zinc Oxide
- Uncoated non-nano zinc particles that won’t penetrate the bloodstream. Natural occurring mineral found in the earth's crust, used as a soothing factor for your skin and provided UVA/UVB protection. Provides whiting color, coverage and adhesion.
- Natural occurring mineral used to give makeup the slip factor. Transparent powder can be mixed with Iron Oxides to create shimmer. Provides a smooth matte finish. Non skin irritant.
- Iron Oxide
- Natural occurring mineral used to give color. Non skin irritant
- Licorice Root Powder
- Ground dried licorice root promotes balanced oil production and skin hydration. We add it to our Mineral Concealer to soothe and brighten inflamed and irritated skin, covering dark under eye circles, blemishes and unwanted marks. Non skin irritant.
Mineral makeup is hypoallergenic, lightweight and provides about a 15 SPF. Safe for all skin types. Few Mineral Makeup Tips:
- If skin is dry, exfoliate before applying and use a primer. This way the powder won't look patchy.
- Be sure to tap off any extra powder over the jar before applying to face.
- If using a primer or moisturizer under makeup, be sure to allow time for your face to dry completely before apply mineral makeup. No body wants a clumpy look.
XO Channon Adams